What happens if I have car insurance in one state but get in an accident in another state?
A proactive way of dealing with high insurance premiums is by finding out ways in which you can get a discount. Yes there is such as thing. Different car insurance companies offer different discounts based on different factors. There are some factors that are usually used as a basis for discounts by all car insurance companies. Some of these factors are:
1. Safety mechanisms – If your car is equipped with safety mechanisms such as anti-lock brakes, automatic seat belts, and airbags you might be eligible for a discount from your car insurance. If your car doesn’t have them it might be a good idea to have them installed because the cost for installation will be offset not only by the protection it will afford you but the lower cost of insurance premium you will need to pay. Remember the installation of safety devices is a one-time expense while insurance premiums are a recurring expense. You’ll save money in the long run.
2. Anti-theft devices – Have your car installed with anti-theft devices such as car alarms and tracking systems. Having the devices will not only help prevent your car from being stolen but will also make you eligible for a discount from your insurance. Again the advantages are well worth the expense.
3. Multi-family or multi-policy discounts – If you have more than one vehicle it might be a good idea to get the car insurance policy for each vehicle from the same insurance company. Same goes with the insurance policy for all the family members. Get your insurance policies from one insurance company. Many insurance companies gladly give discounts for multiple vehicles as well as for different kinds of insurance policies taken from their company. For example they might give discounts if you take a car insurance policy and a homeowner’s policy from them.
4. Loyalty – Some car insurance companies offer loyalty discounts for staying with them for a certain number of years.
5. Defensive Driving Courses – Some car insurance companies also offer discounts for policy holders that take driving courses to help improve their driving skills.